The iPhone 14 Plus and iPhone 14 Pro Max are two of Apple‘s newer iPhone models, both boasting 6.7-inch displays.
As with any release, consumers are eager to know what sets these two models apart and which one is right for them.
While both models share some features, there are key differences between the two, especially with the “Pro” model.
The previous releases iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro had minimal differences, but the iPhone 14 Plus and iPhone 14 Pro Max are more distinctive than ever before.
In this guide, I will help you determine which iPhone model is best for you by highlighting the key differences between the two, and what upgrades and additional features the iPhone 14 Pro Max brings to the table.
- The iPhone 14 Plus and iPhone 14 Pro Max are the latest iPhone models from Apple, both with 6.7-inch displays.
- The “Pro” model has several upgrades and additional features, including a surgical-grade stainless steel design, ProMotion with adaptive refresh rates up to 120Hz, and a 48-megapixel main camera with ƒ/1.78 aperture.
- Consumers who prioritize advanced camera features, a premium design, and higher storage options may want to consider the iPhone 14 Pro Max.
A Comprehensive Comparison Between iPhone 14 Plus and 14 Pro Max
Choosing between the iPhone 14 Plus and 14 Pro Max can be overwhelming, especially with both boasting large displays and impressive specs. Let’s delve deeper into their key differences to help you decide which phone reigns supreme for your needs:
- Size: Both phones pack a punch with 6.7-inch OLED displays, offering ample real estate for browsing, gaming, and streaming.
- Resolution: Both boast a sharp 2778 x 1284 pixel resolution, ensuring crisp visuals.
- Refresh Rate: This is where things diverge. The 14 Plus sticks to a standard 60Hz refresh rate, while the 14 Pro Max shines with a 120Hz ProMotion display. This translates to smoother scrolling, animations, and gameplay on the Pro Max.
- Design: The 14 Plus retains the familiar notch, while the Pro Max introduces the new pill-shaped “Dynamic Island” cutout. This notch-less design integrates seamlessly with software features, offering a more immersive experience.
- Everyday use: Both phones deliver excellent visuals for browsing, reading, and social media.
- Gaming: The 14 Pro Max takes the lead with its smoother refresh rate, offering an edge in fast-paced games.
- Video streaming: Both excel in this category, but the Pro Max’s ProMotion display might enhance the viewing experience with smoother action sequences.
- Sensor Size: Both have 48MP quad-pixel sensors (effective 12MP), resulting in improved low-light performance and detailed photos.
- Megapixel Count: While megapixels aren’t everything, the Pro Max boasts a dedicated 12MP telephoto lens with 3x optical zoom, while the Plus relies on digital zoom.
- Cinematic Mode: Both phones capture stunning portrait-style videos with blurred backgrounds. The Pro Max might offer slightly better depth separation and background effects.
- Low-light Performance: Both have improved low-light capabilities, but the Pro Max might edge out the Plus due to its larger sensor and Photonic Engine for enhanced noise reduction.
Processor & Performance:
- Processor: The 14 Plus utilizes the A15 Bionic chip, while the Pro Max boasts the newer A16 Bionic. While benchmarks show the A16 is faster, the real-world difference for most users is minimal.
- Gaming: Both can handle most games well, but the Pro Max’s smoother refresh rate might enhance the gaming experience slightly.
- Demanding Applications: For tasks like video editing or 3D rendering, the Pro Max might offer a slight edge due to its faster processor. However, the difference is negligible for most users.
The A15 Bionic chip boasts impressive power, ensuring seamless performance and effortlessly tackling even the most demanding tasks.
- Official Estimates: Neither Apple nor reviewers have released official battery life figures yet. Both phones claim “all-day battery life,” but early tests suggest the Pro Max might have a slight advantage due to its more efficient processor.
- Charging: Both support wired Lightning charging and MagSafe wireless charging. The Pro Max might potentially support slightly faster charging speeds due to its larger battery.
Design & Materials:
- Size & Weight: Both phones are large, but the Pro Max is slightly narrower and lighter due to its stainless steel frame (vs. aluminum on the Plus).
- Materials: The Pro Max feels more premium with its surgical-grade stainless steel frame and textured matte glass back compared to the Plus’s aluminum and glossy glass.
- Color Options: The Plus offers a wider variety of fun and vibrant colors, while the Pro Max keeps it sleek with muted and sophisticated options.
- Starting Price: The 14 Plus starts at $899, while the Pro Max starts at $1,099. This price difference reflects the additional features and premium materials on the Pro Max.
Following are some suggestions for the specific type of users:
|iPhone 14 Pro Max
|120Hz display for smoother visuals, potential performance edge for demanding games
|iPhone 14 Pro Max
|Telephoto lens for zoomed-in shots, Photonic Engine for better low-light photos
|iPhone 14 Pro Max
|ProRes video recording for professional editing, potentially faster charging for quicker turnaround
|iPhone 14 Plus
|Lower starting price, still offers a large display and good camera performance
|Choose Plus for wider color options, choose Pro Max for premium materials and muted tones
Check out the real-world difference!
After considering the differences between the iPhone 14 Pro Max and the iPhone 14 Plus, I believe that most customers should opt for the high-end model.
The iPhone 14 Pro Max offers several upgrades, including a brighter display with ProMotion and always-on functionality, the Dynamic Island, the A16 Bionic chip, and a new rear camera setup.
Additionally, the iPhone 14 Pro Max has a more premium design and longer battery life.
While the iPhone 14 Plus is a well-rounded device, it is only worth getting over the iPhone 14 Pro Max if you want a lighter device, do not care for the “Pro” rear camera setup or features like ProMotion and the always-on display, or cannot afford the $200 to upgrade to the high-end model.
However, the iPhone 14 Plus still offers shared features like Emergency SOS via satellite.
Overall, the iPhone 14 Pro Max is the better choice for customers who want the latest and greatest features and are willing to pay the extra $200.
It is a significant upgrade over the iPhone 14 Plus and is worth the investment for those who want the best possible iPhone experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main differences in camera capabilities between the iPhone 14 Plus and the iPhone 14 Pro Max?
The iPhone 14 Plus and the iPhone 14 Pro Max both feature a triple-lens camera system. However, the iPhone 14 Pro Max comes with a larger sensor and a telephoto lens with a longer focal length, which allows for better zoom capabilities and improved low-light performance. Additionally, the iPhone 14 Pro Max also features Apple’s ProRAW format, which provides more control over image processing.
How do the sizes of the iPhone 14 Plus and the iPhone 14 Pro Max compare?
The iPhone 14 Plus has a 6.1-inch display, while the iPhone 14 Pro Max has a larger 6.7-inch display. The iPhone 14 Pro Max is also slightly heavier and thicker than the iPhone 14 Plus.
What is the price difference between the iPhone 14 Plus and the iPhone 14 Pro Max?
The iPhone 14 Plus starts at $999, while the iPhone 14 Pro Max starts at $1,099. The price difference between the two models increases with higher storage capacity.
Which has better battery life, the iPhone 14 Plus or the iPhone 14 Pro Max?
The iPhone 14 Pro Max typically has better battery life than the iPhone 14 Plus due to its larger size and battery capacity. However, actual battery life may vary depending on usage and other factors.
Can the same case be used for both the iPhone 14 Plus and the iPhone 14 Pro Max?
No, the iPhone 14 Plus and the iPhone 14 Pro Max have different dimensions and camera layouts, so they require different cases.
In terms of overall performance, is the iPhone 14 Pro Max worth the higher cost compared to the iPhone 14 Plus?
The iPhone 14 Pro Max has some additional features and a larger display, but whether it is worth the higher cost depends on the individual’s needs and preferences. The iPhone 14 Plus is a powerful and capable device in its own right, so users should consider which features are most important to them when making a purchase decision.